In the landscape of the Westerkwartier one can find lots of very good heritage. Just a lovely day out or even an entire holiday with history and authenticity, it is all possible. Search for traces from the past and return to the present as a satisfied person.
The estate Nienoord in Leek is a part of the National Carriage Museum with a collection of circa 300 carriages. The changing exhibition constantly focus on a different part of their collection. The majority of the carriages can be found in the National Carriages Depot, which is also open for visitors. Around the museum a large park can be found with a play farm, a large playground, radio controlled boats, electric horse track and a tractor track.
Estates (a so-called borg) are beautiful country houses of noble men from a lost era. They usually have their origin in a ‘stone house’, a simple defence work from the fourteenth or fifteenth century where wealthy farmers in danger searched for safety. In the open mound-landscape near Ezinge one can find the Allersmaborg, hidden behind the trees. It is one of the few completely preserved medieval estates. The garden surrounding the property is freely accessible.
In 1668 this estate came in the possession of Ludolf Coenders, councillor of Groningen. In 1956, the property was sold to the Foundation of ‘Het Groninger Landschap’. The property now covers 74 hectares. The fortress is not open for visitors, however the forest behind the Coendersborg is freely accessible.
The Iwema Steenhuis (stone house) in the town of Niebert is the only remaining medieval stone house in the province of Groningen. The stone house dates from the late fourteenth and early fifteenth century. Behind the Iwema Steenhuis one can find a beautiful garden with apple-trees and pear-trees. In the garden you can find the thickest tree of Groningen. It is a red breech with a perimeter of six metres.
In the farm part of the Piloersmaborg in Den Ham people were keeping traditional cattle and in the yards a large selection of old fruit is collected. The Piloersmaborg is the only remaining estate farm of the province and therefore unique. The estate has a nineteenth century atmosphere and has an antique furniture . Located in the formal barn, one can find the guest house.